Monday, March 08, 2010

New Transfer and Changes

Well another transfer has come and gone already fam. Since President Hacking had already told me in my interview I knew I was going to be transferred and last night we found out where. The surprise was that my comp also got transferred so I was worried for a little bit that they would leave Pinos without missionaries, but 2 new ones will come in our place.

Yesterday was a nice fast Sunday. I was released as the BP and brother Benavides was sustained. I hope everything will go well and our branch will progress and grow. They still haven’t chosen a counselor but they will keep looking. I hope things work out and the branch can keep going and growing. It was really a good feeling when they gave the vote of thanks to see everyone raise their hand. (haha not that anyone ever doesn’t raise their hand) but I really felt like I had done about as well as I could and that the Lord was happy with the job we did. I got to give the last testimony and thanked all the members and told them I loved them and would miss hot, humid Barranca. We spent most of the day visiting the ward families etc. and saying goodbye and sharing a little message with each one. By the end of the day I was stuffed because about everybody invited us to eat.

Last night Shirley and David had a little goodbye dinner for me and my companion. It really is so sad to leave here and these good people. I never could have guessed that my time here in Barranca would turn out so well. First, we lived in a crowded, derelict, hot apartment without water. Then, we lived in a truck stop hotel for a few weeks. Next, we lived in a tiny bedroom on the other side of the city in the other missionaries house and finally in a house in our own area...I got to be the second (by 2 weeks) American missionary here in 17 years. I was a trainer, a senior companion and a Branch President. I sweated in this 100 plus degree weather more than at any point in my mission and I REALLY loved it. Haha seriously sitting here at this computer and writing it all down and thinking that I have a transfer makes me feel like crying, wuss - right? But the mish really is an amazing experience. I haven’t been perfect here, it’s been the most challenging part of my mission but I really have tried to do my best and I’m proud to say I never wished not to be here or do this. Yesterday in church and in my prayers, I really felt that the Lord understands us and that he accepted these months of work. I have grown to love the people here very much and I will definitely never forget my time in Barrancabermeja. It has been an amazing experience.

But that’s life and there are always changes. I will now be going to a town called Sogamoso. It is a fairly small city in the Boyaca department. It’s a more temperate climate, not so hot and humid. It’s kind of in the mountains and a very cool little city. Its part of the Duitama Stake. It was just made a stake last year. The stake is made up of 4 little cities about 30 minutes away from each other. They have 1 or 2 wards each. Sogamoso has 2 wards and the one I am going to is called Sol (SUN). I did splits one day there and they have a nice, big chapel. Because it is a ward we won’t have to worry about leadership etc. I will be able to focus on just working as a missionary.

President Hacking told me in the interview that he would probably put me with a young missionary or one who was struggling a little to try and help. Haha but it looks like that’s the case. So I now have a new companion. When I was AP I got to know him a little and he had a few problems with obedience etc. Actually one day a long time ago, he and his comp were having problems so I was called to work with them. He ignored my phone calls and left me waiting alone in a park until his comp caught on. But, I think things will turn out well. I will just try to work extra hard and support him and be his friend. And that’s the news. I am sad to leave Barranca but excited to get to know a new place and new people and see what we can accomplish there.

Hope all is well where you are. As far as housing etc. for BYU, I have no idea but try to talk with other moms who know etc. I don’t think RM’s usually live on campus but I really don’t know how it works. Well I’m out of time. I love you fam, I love what I’m doing and you’re in my prayers always, till next week. Elder Barnard

No comments: