Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Bochica - Lamanite Tradition

March 21, 2010
Hey Fam,
Life is great here in Sogamoso. Sometimes when I'm walking down the middle of the main street and I see horse poop all over I almost think I’m in Wyoming (after the Labor Day Parade with all the horses) haha. But things are going well. I really like this place and we are making much progress with Elder R. Life is much simpler when you’re not assistant or branch president and I am enjoying just focusing on my area and investigators.

This week I don’t have too many dramatic stories to tell. I am starting to get the area down and know where I’m going. Elder R and I are getting along very well. I have been very patient and positive in everything we do and we have been very obedient and working really hard. I ask him how I can improve or compliment him. Since then I have really seen a change in him and have seen that he is trying really hard to be positive.

The people here have been a little difficult but I know we will be successful. The ward, although much bigger than Barranca and with experienced leaders, needs help with unity and most of the people seem to be Sunday members. We are working hard to win their confidence and become their friends. We hope that we can encourage them to introduce us to their friends.

Sunday was also Ward conference here so the Stake pres came and talked. We had high hopes of lots of investigators but unfortunately all but one fell through. We arranged to walk to church with one family but they were no where to be found. Really it was a challenging week. Lots of lessons fell through etc. but we kept working and like I said I know we are close.

Saturday we had a cool experience. After a whole day of not finding anyone, we stopped at 7:30, said a prayer and asked Padre Celestial to help us finish the day well and find someone who was ready to receive us. We looked around as to where to go and I felt like we should go to the street behind our house and knock on doors there. About the third one, a really nice guy, a husband and father of 3, opened the door and happily let us in and we taught him about the importance of the family and how much happiness the family could bring. The spirit was really strong and he seemed to really like our message. The story isn’t all happy because Sunday we couldn’t find them but it was seriously cool to see how quick our prayer was answered and we were blessed for not giving up.

Today we had a good P day. We went to the archaeological museum and saw a bunch of artifacts etc. of the Laminates as we know them here in this part. Here in Sogamoso they had a huge temple that they used for "rituals that had eternal importance to them" it said. Another interesting thing is a tradition called Bochica. The natives of almost every Latin American country have about the same tradition with different names. They say that "Bochica", a tall white bearded god came to them thousands of years ago way before the Spanish and taught them how to live and many skills etc. sounds like 3 Nephi 11.

Anyway I don’t think I have any more news, Time is flying but I am really enjoying things here. If there is anything that comes up as far as college I will let you know. I love you fam, thanks for all your support, be safe and be of good cheer. Love Will

No comments: