Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I love Sogomoso

Hey family,
It’s been a good old week. I am now settled in to my new area in Sogamoso Boyaca. It was sad to leave Barranca but exciting at the same time for a change and a new opportunity.
Monday, after writing we spent the day visiting members etc. One sister invited us over for dinner and thanked me for all the help etc. and a few people cried when we said goodbye haha. I gave away some ties and pictures to a few members etc. It was a pretty long bus ride so I ended up getting to Tunja at about 11:30 P.M. The zone leader, Elder Calton and 2 Elders from Tunja were waiting there in the terminal so I stayed the night with them and then took the bus to Sogamoso and got here in the morning (it’s only about a 40 minute drive).

Sogamoso is a city of about 125,000 people. It has 2 pretty good wards and is part of the Duitama Stake which was just formed last year. When I got there, my comp Elder R was waiting with the 2 other elders from the other ward. We loaded up all the stuff. (Each transfer I have less and less stuff so it’s easier to travel) and headed to the house. I did splits here in my area once before when I was an AP so I already knew a little bit. The apartment is pretty nice and today we spent some good time cleaning it, so it’s in very good shape now.

My first day, we went to visit an investigator that they have had for a while. He is in the army here and every so often he gets sent off to jungle places to fight against and help control Farc (guerilla communist group). He is getting sent to a place on the border of Venezuela and he was telling us that it’s really rough there because Venezuela gives these guys weapons and shelter etc. and then denies it. (Haha but no worries mom it’s a long ways away and it’s very safe here). But anyway, his brothers and dad and wife are all baptized and he had done everything necessary to be baptized but didn’t feel like he knew enough. Turns out he had to report Saturday to get shipped to where he will be stationed for 5 months. We got to the lesson on baptism and he really felt like he needed to be baptized now. So we talked with him about all the details etc. and verified with the mission and Bishop and they said definitely. So my second day here we baptized him and confirmed him right there and he is now in the jungle somewhere. Who knows what will happen where they are but I am very glad that he was able to do what he needed to do before he left. It makes you REALLY appreciate people who will risk themselves to protect their family, country, freedom etc.

Things have actually been going well with Elder R. President Hacking called me the other day and told me that I was with him by his design and that it was a “special assignment”. I have been trying very, very hard to be 100% obedient and very positive and patient and things have gone very well. He is very intelligent and knows a lot of scriptures and expresses himself very well. The thing is that he tends to get discouraged or negative very quickly. I can see where he has had problems with other comps. But I have just let it all pass and be positive and obedient and he is starting to see that it doesn’t work and we are getting along well. I can tell that inside he is a good guy. He is really warming up and I think things will keep getting better. Things are improving every day.

The chapel here was planned to be the stake center but then they moved it to another area so it’s gigantic. It’s really nice and has a little basketball / soccer court and grass etc. There are some good, experienced leaders here. The problem they may have is that there could be more unity, so they all come to church and then go home and only see each other again the next Sunday. But I have tried to be really friendly with all of them and set up lots of appointments to visit them etc. to win their confidence. Oh, the other day I ate a soup that had cooked chicken intestines and FEET. Yes they made a stew and I pulled out my spoon and there was a nice tender chicken foot. haha

Sogamoso is quite a weird town. As you get towards the edges it is like part town. part farm land and you will just see all these empty lots with cows or horses on them. The scenery is really beautiful and actually reminds me a little of the Uinta mountains etc. The weather is peeeerfect. It’s cool all day and chilly in the mornings and night, it basically feels like Evanston in the spring. And it’s not cold enough to have to wear suits so it’s just white shirts.
I have been having some great study sessions and I am really trying hard to take advantage of every second I have. The days keep flying by and next time I write I will have less than 5 months! I know it’s the Lords’ plan for me to be here and with Elder R and I’m confident we can do great things. Well fam thanks again for everything, I’m excited for this new challenge and I know the Lord is going to help us out.
Until next time, Love Will

P.S. As far as the college stuff I think BYU is the plan. I have been thinking and praying about it for a while now and I feel like it's what I should do. I thought a lot about trying to play basketball and then transferring somewhere else but, for various reasons and as much as I love bball, I’m just not feeling it. As far as the Y, I have no idea about the apartments, that one you said, the Omni, looks really nice and if you guys feel like it’s the best choice I do too, cuz I really can’t put any time into researching it. Thank you so much.

No comments: