Monday, April 26, 2010

Testimony

April 26, 2010
Dear Family,
Well it’s been another good old week here in Sogamoso, la capital de las vacas :) We are working well and this week we put lots of emphasis on finding and finding and finding and it went very well. The other area here got 2 extra missionaries so they divided it in two and now the 4 of them are working in that ward.

As far as good news this was actually a great Sunday. We had 6 investigators at church, and we have found some really good people. One is a 12 year old kid who the government just took from his parents because they have maharani problems. He is now living with his aunt who is a member in our ward. She called us over immediately to visit him so we are going to prepare him to be baptized.

Also, knocking doors we found a really cool couple. They aren’t married but that can be arranged and she went to church (Hewas working but really wants to go this Sunday) and said she loved it. They personally schedule when we will come back to visit and usually have food waiting. Haha last time they had us both a nice hot cup of coffee waiting. We didn’t want to be rude so we drank it... haha just kidding again. So it was a good chance to teach them the word of wisdom. They have a few problems with some of the substances but they really have a desire to know the truth and I know the Lord will answer their prayers and help them know it.

Today for P day we (this district) took a train and went to visit a little old pueblo (tiny town). There really was nothing to do but it was fun to ride the old clanky train and I got some cool pictures.

Well time is flying; it’s hard to believe I'm almost done. I really am trying to take advantage of every day and although clearly I’m not perfect I am trying hard. I was thinking the other day that maybe I don’t share my testimony enough in my letters. The other day at lunch we were talking to one member a little about sports and I told him how I loved basketball and my favorite team was the Jazz. He finished eating, went and got on the internet, came back and told me that they were tied with Denver in the playoff series and were going to play in Salt Lake that night at 8 30 (10 30 here). I remembered how much I LOVED watching bball and especially the jazz in the playoffs. But the jist of the story, that night at 10 30 as I was saying my night time prayer I realized that the game would be just starting and really I felt that I would rather be here in Sogamoso, Colombia saying a prayer than watching the greatest basketball game ever. Don’t get me wrong I was happy to hear that they won and I would like to hear how they do, but really there will be lots more NBA playoffs and this is a once in a lifetime thing.

I had a testimony before coming on the mission but as I have lived it and spent everyday serving the lord that testimony has become much deeper. I really have gotten to know Christ. I have felt his spirit at the times I was most scared or unsure or disappointed and I KNOW that he isn’t just an idea or some unimaginable thing but that he lives and I know that he loves us. I know that this is his church and even though we are so imperfect, he is perfect enough to lift us.

Thanks for all your support family, I love you. Happy birthday little ELLA (hehe Ella in Spanish means she) Congratulations Cameryn on the lead role. Well until next time, Elder Barnard

No comments: