Monday, April 12, 2010

Coming Home on August 20, 2010

I can't believe it. They just found out that his group will be flying home on August 20, 2010. They left on August 21, 2008 - I don't know where the time has gone.


I laughed when I saw this picture. The arrow is pointing to a clean white sock. He had mentioned once before that they sweat so much that he keeps a sock in his pocket to mop his brow. I suggested that he buy some handkerchiefs. I don't think he has.

April 12, 2010
Well today I am writing from a disobedient keyboard so forgive my spelling errors or random spaces. It’s been quite a good week here in Sogamoso. Here it’s a great climate, just a little bit warm to wear suits so we just work in normal white shirts. The only problem this week is that it has been raining like crazy every single day. After nearly 20 months I finally broke out my rain jacket from Mr. Mac's but I left my umbrella at a member’s house so we have been getting soaking wet.

Amazingly all of my clothes are still ok. My 2 pairs of Ecco shoes are in excellent condition and my other pair is suffering a little but I think they will make it. All of my suits, pants and shirts are fine although some of my white shirts aren’t AS white as they used to be.
We have been working very hard this week and it has been a great week. We have taught a lot of lessons etc. and the investigators FINALLY came to church and really liked it. We are hopeful to have 5 baptisms on the 24th depending on their progress. That is the goal and we will do our best to help them get there.

Here in Sogamoso there are 2 areas, one for each ward and chapel. Our chapel is the stake center for the Duitama stake so it’s very big and nice and the other chapel is little and not so nice. Anyway a family who lives out of town but technically belongs to the other area and has been talking with the other missionaries, came to our ward Sunday because it’s closer to them. They are going to move to Bogotá in a month to start preparing travel stuff to go live in Montreal Canada. They say Canada wants more young families so the government will pay them to go live there with their young children. Anyway they love the church and want to be baptized before they leave so it looks like my companion and I are going to start teaching them as well and see if they can be baptized before leaving.

I had to laugh when I read Kaydee Browns letter. She was so excited to have found three investigators in one week in Denmark. It really is interesting to see how in one part of the world people are so easy going and easy to talk to and in others they are more closed. I have to admire her and missionaries there where it’s harder to find people. I remember weeks in Barranca where we found 20 plus new investigators who invited us to talk to them but then wouldn’t progress.

I sent Elder Soria the letter you wrote mom and he told me some amazing news. The other day President Hacking called him and told him that his mom had called him. She was now working in Spain, had got in contact with the missionaries and was BAPTIZED. haha She sent him some money and it sounds like she is writing him now. He said he could feel the spirit when he read your letter mom, and thanks a ton.

I finished a week early my goal of reading the New Testament this transfer so now I am focusing lots on studying Preach My Gospel more and I want to read Jesus The Christ which is way good.

This week we have interviews with the President which will be nice. President Hacking always helps me get a good spiritual boost and keep looking for ways to improve.

I really like the example you had in your letter mom. I always try to be positive in my letters and although I love the mission like no other, it obviously has discouraging moments. The other day I was praying and thinking about things and the words of President Hinckley’s dad came into my mind, forget yourself and go to work. So I have really been trying to focus on that saying, especially when lessons fall through or we have to run through the rain with wet shoes etc. And it really has helped.
Overall I am loving life and trying my best to be my best. Well I am about out of time but I love you fam and I hope all is well where you are, until next time. Elder Barnard

P.S. Also we have talked to President Hacking about college. Our release date was August 26th but he says we should fly home on August 20th instead (those of my group who need to meet college starting dates). Actually today they were taking out the flight plans because they always do them very early - scary thought, they are already booking our flights! I also sent you a letter from BYU. Thanks. Love Will

No comments: