Monday, January 25, 2010

January 25, 2010

Hola fam,
It’s been another hot week in Barranca. It’s also been another hot transfer in Barranca. Another 6 weeks is all over and that means more changes in the mission. This transfer there were 20 missionaries leaving and 20 new ones so lots of changes in the mish. Here in Barranca there have been a few. Elder Williams got transferred to Bogotá (I’ll miss him) and tomorrow his replacement from Paraguay comes. Elder Jimenez, my good buddy from Argentina also got transferred to finish his last transfer in San Gil and tomorrow Elder Furmanski (Utah) comes to be Elder Zari`s companion. And last of all, my son Elder Ravanales has been transferred. He is getting shipped off to San Luis (Bogotá) and my new companion comes tomorrow. His name is Elder Moreno. I am pretty sure he is from Bolivia. When I was the AP I got to know the new missionaries coming in so I already know him. He seems like a really humble, good guy. Now he has about 7 months or so in the mission so he should be a good help. It will be sad to see little Ravi leave but transfers are a good thing and always a good learning opportunity. I imagine he is a hard worker so I think we will do very well.

Some branch members got to go to the temple. They have been saving up by selling tamales (not like the Mexican ones) and actually a really good group went. There were at least 20 and two couples went to be sealed :) I did some last minute interviews for a few that went and then we wished them off on their bus from the church. It was great to see what an exciting and spiritual experience it was for them. They say the youth did baptisms like crazy and they were all excited and you could really see how happy and uplifted they were from the trip. Unfortunately they got home really late Saturday night (early Sunday morning) and some didn’t make it to church.

It was one of the most spiritual Sundays we have had. The individual faith and commitment of our members really help. We finally have all the organizations and classes organized. With the uplifting experience of the temple attendance and the increased enthusiasm of the members now working, our branch is doing great. As we went around Sunday and spent time in some of the classes etc. it was just really rewarding to see people teaching and participating in the class and planning activities and being friendly with each other. Comparing it with 2 1/2 months ago, it really seems like a new branch and the attitude is so positive. I love the people here. It is great getting to know them and listen to them and talk with them and participate in the activities etc. There are people here who are actually doing things like the Savior in his church. So our plans will be to continue visiting them and serving them and looking for those who are lost and keep on keeping on.

Investigator life is stiiiiiill hard. Marissa is seeming like she isn’t going to leave her boyfriend yet and we find investigators but they don’t seem to progress. I think now that the branch is looking better we are going to start working harder with the members to get references from them instead of knocking on so many doors. We have a mission challenge to finish the BoM before March so I’m using every spare second to read and it’s great. It’s amazing how you pick up new things and feel the spirit every time you read it. I really do know the Book of Mormon is true, with tough time like there have been here, it’s been a big help to me. I love the great examples of missionaries in the Book of Mormon.

In the good news of the week... after 2 transfers of living in bad apartments and hotels and far away houses, we finally have a house in our area. I don’t remember if I wrote last week but there are some members who have a house here that they rent out and the people who were there just left, so we got the contract done right away. They fixed it up a little and now we are all moved in. It’s about 12 minutes to walk to the chapel and it’s in a decent, quiet neighborhood. It’s not the nicest house and it’s little but it’s what we need. There are3 little bedrooms, 1 bath, a tiny kitchen and a place to hang up the clothes. But there is a park nearby to do exercise in the mornings so we are very happy. Also the mission let us put in AC so we now have nice air conditioners in the bedroom and study room. I guess when things are too easy they aren’t worth it. I know this will be a great lesson / experience for me to remember throughout my whole life.

Well I am about out of time. And so we start another transfer in Barranca. I want to make the most out of it. I want to be a really helpful Branch President and give my best effort. I’m excited to see how things go with my new comp and get started working with him. Thanks for everything fam, I will talk to ya next week. Love Elder B

No comments: