Thursday, May 14, 2009

We're Back

We had an absolutely fabulous time in Europe for the past four weeks. We saw so many beautiful and historical sites that I will be scrap booking for a long time. We were so happy to return home though. I love Canada and the U.S. - we are most fortunate to live in these beautiful lands.

We had a wonderful phone conversation with Will on Mother's Day. It was so good to hear his voice. He is working very hard and loving every minute. You can just hear the happiness and exuberance, not only in his voice but in his expressions. He's always been a happy kid but I think that the experiences he is having on his mission surpass anything he has ever done before.

He wrote me a special Mother's Day letter and actually sent it off several weeks ago - boy is he getting organized. I got it the day before Mother's Day when we got back. Anyway, it was one of the best letters I have ever received. I couldn't hold back the tears - he is a wonderful son. We are so grateful to have the privilege of having a missionary. The blessings received and the lessons learned are beyond anything I could imagine. If there is anyone thinking of going on a mission - DO IT. You will be eternally grateful that you did.

May 11, 2009

Hello family and happy mother’s day!
I don’t have a ton to say that I didn’t say on the phone yesterday but it was great to talk to the family and hear that all is going well.

They assigned me a new Companion from the mission. His name is Elder Mullisaca. He is from Peru and he doesn’t know his genealogy but there has to be some Japanese with that name. He was a member for 1 year before his mission and his entire family are 7th day Adventist so I have a lot of respect for him. We are going to be working very hard in these coming weeks to do everything we can to help our investigators so I am very excited about that.

Well I think I said about everything yesterday but I wanted to wish a happy mother’s day to mom, Angie, Amy, Grandma and everyone else and thanks for all the support and prayers.

Until Next week, love, Elder Barnard



May 4, 2009

Hello Barnard, Bates and Heaven Families,

I know the Lord has been with me and as far as the work, things are going great. The couple of Mauricio and Tatiana that we found my first week here are just waiting for some papers to get here and they will be married and baptized the first day possible, hopefully we can get the papers in this week so they can get married.
Also we received a while ago references of two young kids (dario and ana maria) 14 and 12. Their parents both died and they are living with their aunt who is a member. We were teaching them and trying to take things very slow. We got ana maria lined up to go to a campout with the young women this last weekend and I guess it was amazing and she loved it. She bore a perfect little testimony of what happened in sacrament meeting yesterday and they have now both decided they want to be baptized this month.
We also received another referral yesterday, from one hermano who is a convert of 5 years, and he took us to his friend’s house. We taught him the first lesson and invited him to be baptized on the 23rd and he said yes. So I am very "pumped" as you say in English as far as the work and it looks like the fruits of our work with the members is going to start paying off. It is very rewarding and I am very excited about the work we are doing.

Other random things that I don’t think I have written about yet. Elder Quentin L cook came the other week and talked to all the missionaries which was very cool and I got to sit with Elder Smith (my mtc comp). It was the first time I have seen him in the field and we got to be really good friends so that was cool.

Also a few weeks ago a member called and said her sister had a new baby that was born two months early and was very weak and had surgery the next day and asked if we could give it a blessing. I went with Elder Alvarado and we put on aprons and washed our hands up and went into this secure room where the tiiiiny little thing was in an incubator. We put our hands over the incubator and gave it a blessing. They said there was about a 30 percent chance it would live thru surgery the next day. The sister called Elder A the other day and told him the baby was doing great, it was bigger and stronger and they thought everything was going to end up fine and that the doctors were basically amazed. What an experience.

But HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to mom and dad. Haha that’s pretty awesome to be spending it in Paris. I hope all the travel goes well and all the nieces’ nephews BJ and everyone are well. I’m out of time but much love and I will talk to ya next week.

No comments: