Monday, May 18, 2009

Humbling News

Will has learned so much in the past (almost 7 months) in Colombia but this last month he had some very unique and growing experiences.

Hello family,
Hope all is going well where you all are. That’s great that everyone could come and visit and I’m sorry to hear about BJ's seizures, he and the family will definitely remain in my prayers extra.

Well it has been a crazy day and a half. I’m still waiting to wake up and realize I have just been dreaming or something but I’m starting to think I might not. We had a great week with my new companion Elder Mullisaca. We were just about to reap the fruits of our labors in Tierra Linda with 2 baptisms lined up for Saturday and 4 more for the next. We had a baptism on Friday and President Camargo decided to come and after he invited us to come to his house Sunday for lunch.

After church we hopped in a taxi and headed to the mission house (8th story huge apartment). We were just kind of standing around in the kitchen helping prepare lunch and talking and he called me to come into his office. We sat down and he asked how I was and if I had any issues I needed to clear up with him. I told him no and the next thing he said was, "ok good, Elder Foote will be leaving (back home to Saint George) this next transfer and starting today you are going to be the new assistant." I don’t really know what I thought but my heart just started beating and I kept waiting for him to say he was just joking or something and he just started to explain to me some of the responsibilities and what I would be doing. He told me to get all my bags packed and head to the house where the assistants and secretaries live, by that night. So I walked out and everyone was waiting outside smiling and laughing and asking if I was surprised…uuuh yeah.

So last night we went to the house, threw everything in my suitcases and we headed over to the assistants house with Elder Foote and Corro (The assistants). I will be with them the next 2 days to try and learn from them and see all the things we do. Then Elder Foote will go to Tierra Linda where I was (ha and baptize all our people). I was completely sure I was not going anywhere this transfer and it all just kind of came at once.

I am completely shocked. I feel so humbled and inadequate to be an example and leader to so many good missionaries who probably know more and have more experience than me. I know President Camargo is the person who receives the revelation for these things and the Lord is the one who chooses but if I haven’t already explained, I am completely dumbfounded. I have been here in Colombia less than 7 months. I am very excited for such an opportunity and I know I am going to learn more and be humbled more than I ever have. I guess I just have to say I will go and do the things the Lord has commanded because I know he provides a way. At least I will be with Elder Corro who has good experience and I guess it’s going to be a "baptism by fire" as I think they say.

Some of the responsibilities I will now learn, will be traveling to all parts of the mission to work and help the other missionaries, train at all the Zone Conferences and the Mission Leader Meetings, answer the questions of missionaries that call in, be in communication with all the Zone Leaders about how the work is going in their zones and many more things that I have yet to learn. So I’m just going to do the very best I can with a good attitude and trust in the Lord to help me.

It was nice to see all the kids there together. Thanks for all of your support and prayers, I am going to need them now more than ever. I love my family so much. I will talk to you next week.

Much love, Will

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WoW! Aunt Janine that is so exciting! Elder Barnard is going to be a great AP. We are so happy for him

-Mckenzie