Monday, January 19, 2009

Transfers

January 19, 2009

Haaalo familia.
Well it has been quite a week here with a lot going on. Tuesday, we had the baptism of Marta, Jose and their son Pablo. We were presented with about every problem that there could have been to prevent them from getting baptized but now they are married, baptized and confirmed so it feels very good.

Tuesday morning we were finalizing the plans for the baptism when Jose called us and told us his boss was going to let him off for the short marriage ceremony but not for the baptism later that night so he could only be off work from 4 to 6 P.M. The marriage ceremony was originally scheduled for 5:30 which would not have been enough time to do both. But the day before the Notaria called and told them it was changed to 5 which gave us one hour, (what a blessing). We could have just waited to do the baptism another day but Elder Amador and I had worked a ton with this family and he really wanted to see them get baptized. We decided to take care of the marriage and run to the closest chapel as fast as we could. It was interesting at first to be rushing around to get a baptism done, but everything went very well and in the end it was a great feeling.

My comp baptized Pablo (12) and Marta and I baptized Jose. They also have a little girl named Angie who is 6. It was very rewarding to see the people whose door I had knocked on almost 2 months earlier and who almost didn’t listen to us, walk into the font completely confident and knowing what they were doing was right.
About the wedding - for the civil wedding it was a very short little ceremony in the Notary with just some missionaries and a few family members. We borrowed a suit from another Elder here that is about the same size as Jose so that he could wear one for the wedding. After the baptism Jose had to run to work but we took Marta, Pablo and Angie to their casa in a taxi and talked for a little bit and explained what came next. It was a very busy and tiring day but one of the best.

Also, I found out a few hours after sending my last email that Elder Amador was getting sent to Bogotá for transfers and I had a new companion coming. Wednesday morning we saw all the Elders that were leaving, off at the bus terminal. I told Elder Amador thanks for everything. He gave me an Argentina National Soccer team jersey and I gave him my Wyoming Football T shirt. and they were off to Bogotá. I feel very blessed to have had Elder Amador for a trainer and I definitely learned a ton from him.

Wednesday Night, my new Companion, Elder Araujo got here. He is a little Elder from Peru who has 20 months in the mission field. Ha, when I say little, I mean little. I figured out converting the measurements to the English system, that he is 4 foot 9 inches tall and tips the scales at 114 pounds. I imagine it is quite the site to see us walking down the street here, but the Lord has a reason for everything. (Will is almost 6 feet 3 inches tall). He has a personality very different than Elder Amador. The only way I can think to describe Elder Araujo is like one of those salesmen that is really, really friendly and talks in kind of a bubbly voice. He seems to be a very good teacher and has a good heart.

It was a little scary at first because it’s the first time I have had to introduce someone to a new area and get us around and take care of planning the lessons and meals and all, but just until he gets a little more settled into the area. He is a little harder to understand because he talks kind of softly and smoothly and uses a lot of sayings I don't know but I’m getting used to it. In Peru, the pronounciations are slightly different than Argentina. He was amazed at how well Elder Lee and I are coming along with Spanish. I have really prayed to advance in the language and I know I have been blessed to learn faster than I ever could by myself.

This Thursday, we are going to baptize the brother of one of the member ladies that always gives us lunch and stuff. His name is Caesar and he is 21. We have only been teaching him a little while but he has really progressed. We also invited their younger brother Alberto (14) to get baptized but so far he is a little hesitant so we are going to focus on helping them this week.

Other than that all is well. Just some random things I don’t know if I have typed in a letter yet but we found this stand called Perro Lucho (Dog Fight) that makes these ridiculously huge hamburgers and hot dogs with tons of melted cheese and chicken and sauces and stuff all over. We have eaten there a few times but the last time we went, I ate a huge hot dog called the (perro Americano loco) crazy American hot dog) with fries and everything. I got my first case of stomach problems for a few days but now all is well so don’t worry mom :)

Also yesterday in church, Marta, Jose and Pablo got confirmed and they asked me to do it. I went up front to confer them with the Holy Ghost and gave the blessing for all three. It was a little scary but all went well.

Well everything else is good. Thanks for your letters every week. It’s always nice to have something to read from the family on P day. I’m about out of time but much love and you’re in my prayers. I will talk to you next week.

Elder B

No comments: