Sunday, November 15, 2009

November 2, 2009

Hola Familia!
Well it’s been another good week here in the mish. We finished up the last week of yet another transfer. We spent a lot of time in the office getting ready for the transfers etc but we did get to spend some time working in the area and we recently found an awesome investigator. His name is Ricardo and he is a single student at the university here and works in construction. He is 23 years old and has gained a strong testimony way fast. He, by himself, asked us if he could be baptized, came to church in a suit on Sunday and says if it’s possible he would love to serve a mission. The reason it’s so cool is because the church really needs future priesthood leaders and they are very hard to find. A future missionary or priesthood leader is a huge boost for the church. We really can tell he is an "Elect". Haha the sad thing is, I will not be here to see his baptism.

Last Monday after writing, we had our weekly meeting. President asked to talk to me for a minute. The church now recommends that each mission only keep an Elder for about 6 months as an AP. That way most of their mission can be spent proselyting. He told me that I was being released, which I have known for awhile would be happening. He told me how grateful he was and said I had done a great job as Assistant. He said Elder Corro and I were his "Dads". He also said that it was a much higher responsibility level because we got to organize and help show him, as a new Mission President, how certain things were done as he got used to it. He also said that as a very young AP, it was very difficult but that I really "stepped up to the plate" and did a great job and that it was time to go back into the field full time. It really has been quite an experience to be the AP. I remember when President Camargo told me. I was completely shocked and scared and I got to see a lot of personal progress as I grew and got used to it and gained confidence. Haha now that I feel like I have finally figured out good ways to do things I am getting shipped out. I think most stuff usually works like that. I learned even more that if the Lord asks you to do something, no matter how incapable you may feel, he provides the way. Getting to know and work personally with 2 great Mission Presidents has been a huge blessing, just being around and talking with them I have learned soooo many things. I have been given so many blessings and opportunities. They have helped me to humble myself and improve. I worked really hard and did my best so in the end I feel very happy with the effort I gave. The new AP is a really great South American Elder from Chile.

Anyway back to the story, President Hacking told me he wanted me to train a new missionary and he was going to put me in the area that needed the most help in the mission – BARRANCA!!! Haha I think I already explained Barrancas history. It is very, very, very, very, hot and humid, I mean it feels like you’re in a sauna. Over the years it came to be thought of as the Siberia of the mission or the Punishment area for missionaries. This made it lose almost all productivity. It has about 185,000 people and a district with 3 little branches. It is the Colombian home of petroleum so it is a very key place for the economy and has a gigantic refinery. Because of that in years past it was a target for the FARC but with the new President Uribe the guerilla has been almost eliminated and such emphasis has been put on Barranca that it is now a safe city. Honestly, ever since I went there for a few days to help out as an AP, I have felt so strongly inside that I would love to be transferred there and see what I could do but I never said anything to Pres, so when he told me, I was amazed and way excited. I know it is where I am supposed to be.

I will train a missionary from Chile named Elder Ravanales. His whole family are members of the church and from his papers he sounds like a great guy - we are ready to work miracles! It’s the second time that I will train in a new area but last time I was new and clueless and now I have 6 months of ideas and experience with mission presidents built up so I am pumped to get out and get to work and try to teach my son everything I can. We will be going to the Pinos Branch, of the three in Barranca it is the weakest. They have a House Chapel. I have heard the Branch President attends about half the time because of work and all the other problems a tiny isolated branch may have... I am way excited to get there and see what we can do. A few weeks ago Elder Williams was sent there. It’s amazing - he was the first American missionary in about 17 years to go there so I will be the second :) President is sending in very strong, obedient missionaries. Elder Williams is the new District Leader and he is amazing. Another one is Elder Zari who was the Financial Secretary and a way hard worker, one named Elder Mura (also a very hard worker) and me and my new son. I have loved being Assistant but I’m ready to leave the high life of airplanes, high rise offices and restaurants and get back on the front lines haha. Now it will be the life of rice every day for lunch, a struggling branch and 90++ degree heat and 90% humidity.

I am "stoked" as we say to get there and get to work side by side with my second son. It will probably be very difficult, it’s about as difficult of an assignment as there is in this mission but I think the 6 of us, with the Lord’s help, are going to make miracles happen and change the whole perspective of Barranca. My dream is to be sitting at home a few years down the line and see the news of the new Barrancabermeja Colombia Stake. It’s a long long ways away from happening but we hope to help start the process. Elder Zari and I will not go until Thursday or Friday so that we can help finish the transfers and then we will be off. Don’t worry it is safe. President Hacking wouldn’t send us there if it wasn’t, and as long as we are doing his work the Lord will look out for us.

Well I'm about out of time, it’s a huge blessing to have such a great family, thanks for all you do. You will all be in my prayers, thanks for everything, I’ll be writing you from Barranca next time! Chao, Elder Barnard

No comments: