Monday, August 24, 2009

Incredible First Year

August 24, 2009
Hola familia,
It’s been quite a week; actually it’s been quite a year. This week was amazing. We had the mission tour with Elder Nash so we had 4 special zone conferences over 4 days, traveling the whole mission and getting to hear a Seventy and the President of the Area. We had conferences every day from Monday to Thursday (in this order) Bucaramanga, Bogotá, Duitama and another in Bogotá. Elder Gagliardi and I went to organize things for each conference before Elder Nash and the Hackings got there. We rotated conducting the special meetings. I really know that the leaders we have in the Church are called of God and getting to see Elder Nash on a personal level was a big testimony of that.

Apart from having the conferences we got to have an interview with him, talk to him in meetings after the conference and eat 2 dinners with him so I basically got to know him like a friend. Also leaving Bucaramanga, both of our flights got cancelled so it was just me, Elder Gagliardi and Elder Nash for about 2 hours talking about our families and the mission and questions about what we could do to improve and hearing experiences etc, it was awesome to say the least. He just has a special spirit and love for the work and the people and I took advantage of the time with lots of questions so I learned a TON. It really is a rare opportunity to have so much time with a general authority and learn so much.

I told him about our family and he said I must have very special parents because special people get the opportunity to have special spirits like BJ. and it almost felt like he knew us. It really was humbling and a huge blessing to have that chance to meet a General Authority on that level and help me realize how much I need to continue to humble myself and improve. So anyway the week was great. We lost a lot of sleep, made some long travels and had a lot of things to organize but it was great.

So my mission is halfway over, I can’t believe it was a year ago I was walking into the MTC without a clue of what would happen, it really doesn’t seem like more than a few months ago. Haha I was surprised to hear about the house sell. I definitely had a lot of memories in that good home but now another young family can enjoy it and mom can build her dream house.

Other random news, Brandon told me James Johnson who I always guarded from Cheyenne, got picked by the Bulls in the first round of the draft. So I will always be able to say a first round NBA draft pick alley oop dunked right over me haha. (But I gave him his share of post moves also).


It’s hard to believe all that has happened in such a fast year. I have had 8 companions and 3 areas and I have grown to love every one of them. Every time I get to go to Bucaramanga or Tierra Linda in Bogotá I just get excited to see the people and places and really do feel a great love for them. With my companions I have been able to help good people to be baptized and join the true church. Some of those conversions have led to family members or friends that have now joined the church. haha but the great thing is that I have learned that Elder Barnard isn’t the one who convinces people or converts them, everything is due to the Lord and he has blessed me to be able to meet these people and be there to watch him change them. I have been able to develop an incredible love for each one of those people. I have more than any other year of my life, learned the importance of charity, humility, diligence etc and I wish I was better in each one of them and that is why we are here. I hope I have improved as a person. Every time I have had a change (getting here from mtc, changing comp, area or position) I have had to try and humble myself and rely on the Lord because it’s always a jump and he really has come through every time. I may have had a few days discouraged, feeling unable or nervous but I can easily say I have loved the first year of my mission and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I’m excited to start the next one and hope I can make it even better than this one.

I love you all. You are always in my prayers, thanks for everything, and I’ll talk to ya next week. Love Elder B

No comments: